
Chicago-area homebuyers woke up Wednesday to even fewer available homes visible online after Midwest Real Estate Data (MRED) cut off its direct listing feed to Zillow, removing roughly 43,000 listings from the country’s largest home search platform.
The move comes at a time when Chicago is already struggling with historically low housing inventory, rising prices in many neighborhoods, and fierce competition for quality homes. For buyers already frustrated by limited options, the dispute threatens to make the market even more fragmented and difficult to navigate.
Lisle-based MRED, the nation’s third-largest Multiple Listing Service, suspended Zillow’s feed amid an escalating battle over private listings and off-market marketing practices. Zillow filed a federal antitrust lawsuit last week against MRED and Compass, accusing the companies of limiting competition and restricting listing access.
At the center of the fight is Zillow’s policy of banning listings from appearing on its platform if they were first marketed privately before becoming publicly available. MRED has long operated a Private Listing Network that allows agents to market homes internally to other agents while keeping them off public consumer sites.
The conflict intensified after MRED expanded access to its private network nationally and Compass announced plans to syndicate all of its inventory — including private and off-market listings — through MRED. Zillow has refused to display certain listings it says violate its standards, while MRED argues those listings fully comply with MLS rules.
MRED CEO Rebecca Jensen said the organization was enforcing its policies consistently across all participants.
But critics argue the standoff ultimately hurts consumers the most — especially in a city already dealing with a shortage of available homes.
By Wednesday morning, Zillow’s Chicago listings had stopped updating entirely, while competing platforms like Redfin showed hundreds more active listings. Buyers relying primarily on Zillow may now be missing a significant portion of the market, creating confusion during one of the most inventory-starved housing periods Chicago has seen in years.
Zillow blasted the decision, saying Chicagoland buyers and sellers now have “far worse access to the housing market” because of the dispute.
The battle also highlights a growing national divide in real estate over private listings and so-called “exclusive inventory,” where homes are marketed behind the scenes before ever reaching the public. Critics say the trend reduces transparency and further limits housing access at a time when affordability and inventory remain major issues across Chicago and much of the country.